Northern Shrimp and Corn Chowder
A delicious and sustainable MSC Certified shrimp chowder with corn and herbs recipe from Louisbourg Seafoods.
- 1 cup 90/120 Cooked Shrimp
- 30 90/120 Cooked Shrimp for garnish
- 4 cups Vegetable or Fish Stock
- 2 cups 35% Cream
- 2 cups Frozen Corn Kernels
- 2 cups Potatoes Peeled and Diced
- 1 cup Onion Finely Diced
- 2/3 cup Carrot Finely Diced
- 2/3 cup Celery Finely Diced
- 1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 2 tbsp Garlic Minced
- 1 tbsp Butter Unsalted
- 12 sprigs Thyme Chopped
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Cayenne Pepper To Taste
- Paprika To Taste
- Dried Parsley To Taste
- Heat oil in pot and sweat garlic, onions, carrots and celery until soft. Add potatoes, bay leaves and thyme sprigs.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender approximately 5 to 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in the pot and whisk in 1-1 ½ tbsp flour to create a roux. Slowly add some stock and whisk until it has thickened.
- Whisk the roux and chowder base and simmer until thickened about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Add the cream, frozen corn and shrimp and simmer until heated through.
- For Serving: Ladle some broth with lots of shrimp and vegetables into each bowl.
- To Garnish: Combine the remaining 1/4 cup of flour, cayenne, paprika, dried parsley. Coat each of the thirty shrimp. Pan-fry until crisp; approximately 1 minute on each side. Place five shrimp in the center of each bowl with a sprig of thyme
- Serve hot with a fresh biscuit.